Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Small Groups with Big Conversations

Spiritual Life Groups on campus are a great way for our campus community to learn from one another, pray together and enjoy the fellowship of shared Christian faith—and Gordon’s small groups are a great opportunity for student engagement. Lead by students, faculty and staff members, small groups meet once a week at various locations on campus. Each group will discuss a specific issue over the course of a semester.

The Chapel's theme this spring focuses on spiritual disciplines. “There are many Christian practices–disciplines–that occur when we meet together in small groups," said Laurie Truschel, director of student ministries. “That list includes disciplines of study, fellowship, submission, confession and friendship."

Gordon College Student Ministries (GCSM) offers Spiritual Life Groups for the Gordon community each semester. “As we are called the body of Christ, we need to be connecting with one another in ways that promote transparency, accountability, spiritual growth and encouragement in a loving and safe environment," said Truschel, "All for the glory of God."

Groups begin meeting in February. "Being in a small group has opened my eyes to things that I wasn't thinking about in my walk with Jesus," said Dre Santos, a first year student from Ansonia, CT. Santos, a double-major in social work and Christian ministries, has great friends in his community at Lewis Hall, but wanted to expand his circle and was intrigued by the topics small groups offered. He joined his first small group last fall and plans to sign up for another one this semester. "My small group truly helped me become a better Christian."
For a listing of small groups for the spring semester, visit the GCSM page on the Gordon website.

Photo: Dre Santos is studying Global Christianity and social work at Gordon. He's pictured here (center) with some of his friends on campus.

1 comment:

pamella said...

This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping me outta my problem..
Dissertation Writing Service