Tuesday, April 27, 2010

From Gordon to Notre Dame

Meredith Whitnah ’07 tells Gordon what she’s been up to since graduating.

I am currently a Ph.D. student in the Sociology Department at the University of Notre Dame, where I study the ways in which cultural beliefs, especially religious ones, intersect with conceptions and practices related to gender.
As a Pike Scholar at Gordon, I created an interdisciplinary gender studies major. My relationships with the faculty in the Biblical Studies Department were integral in shaping my perspective on the scholarship I hope to produce. Because of the mentoring of these and other faculty members at Gordon and the opportunities afforded me through the Pike program, I continue to be inspired to connect my scholarship with its practical implications, understand the ways in which beliefs shape everyday people’s lives, and build bridges across disciplines, with varieties of people, and between those within the academy and those outside of it.

No comments: