Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Understanding God’s Heart for the Poor . . . and Doing Something about It

It was in Dr. Marv Wilson’s Old Testament Prophets class that Rachel Simons ’02 started to really understand God’s heart for the poor. Mulling over her newfound understanding, she spent two hours during the Day of Prayer in the Gordon woods just listening. “After this time of solitude, God impressed upon my heart the command to ‘Go and do likewise,’ Jesus’ words to his disciples after telling the parable of the Good Samaritan,” says Rachel.
With that call still fresh in her mind, Rachel joined a team with Word Made Flesh and spent four months over the summer serving and learning alongside street children in Romania. Those few short months changed her more than she expected, and after a lot of prayer she decided to return to Romania for two years after graduating. But her work in Romania didn’t stop after two years. “This has turned into a life calling. I’m still here in Eastern Europe, loving Jesus among the poorest of the poor.”
When she talks about the work she’s done for the last seven years in Romania, she is humble. “I'm just another disciple of Christ, listening and obeying his call in my life,” says Rachel. “The most memorable transformation over the years is that I have begun to actually see through the brokenness, poverty and grime and discover something beautiful there. I have discovered that I need these children in my life as much as they need me because they teach me about love, simplicity, joy, gratitude, faith and generosity.”
While at Gordon, Rachel Simons majored in biblical and theological studies and minored in missions. The photo above is a summer camp held for Romanian kids.

No comments: