Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Hub of Social Change

Boarding a plane this Thursday, Kayla Peck, a junior from Plattsburgh, NY, reflects on her upcoming semester in our nation’s capital:

“I’m planning to be a resident in Washington, D.C., learning about the management process of nonprofits in the ‘hub’ of social change. I’ll be interning at Women for Women International—a nonprofit in DC that helps women in war-torn areas around the world.
“Through Gordon’s partnership with the Best Semester Program, I’ll be studying with other students from schools in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities across the country in the Global Humanitarian Enterprise track. My coursework will include Entrepreneurship; Human Development Seminar; Topics in Leadership and Vocation; and mentoring.
“I am thrilled about this opportunity, yet scared out of my wits about what is to come. As a social work and sociology major, my mind is not programmed to think about fiscal matters. I think about systemic problems and want to advocate for social change on a social and theoretical level. After all, this is what I have been taught. Yet it’s time to couple my idealistic perspective with pragmatism.”

Kayla plans to write, take photos and blog from DC though her personal website. To read more about Kayla, click HERE.

No comments: