Friday, November 6, 2009

From the Western Plains to a New England Town

By Anne Taylor '10
As an intern in the Admissions Office, I’m often asked what made me choose Gordon College. Of all the phrases I use—“my professors care,” “an encouraging community,” or “close to Boston”—none reigns more true in my daily life than “feels like home.” But when I visited Gordon four years ago, I stepped onto campus hesitantly. Wenham, a small New England town, is 2,000 miles from the western plains in Colorado where I grew up.
But after touring the beautiful campus with its collegiate charms, meeting enthusiastic faculty like Mark Stevick, professor of creative writing, and actually making friends with current students, I knew Gordon was the place for me. Since I’m a history major, Boston’s place in the foundations of our country offers daily inspiration in my academic and spiritual life. As Abigail Adams wrote in a letter to her son, John Quincy, “The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties. Great necessities call out great virtues. When a mind is raised, and animated by the scenes that engage the heart, then those qualities which would otherwise lay dormant, wake into life and form the character of the hero and the statesman.”
This quote is taped to my desk, and, when I see it every morning, I’m reminded that no matter how far I am from home or the trials I face, it’s the challenges of making the move, studying for that exam, and praying through each difficult time that are forming my mind and heart. Gordon has equipped me and enriched me, and I am so thankful that I can call it home. I invite you to visit our campus on November 20th for our last fall open house, Gordon Experience Day, and take this important step in your college search. I hope you will feel as “at home” as I did, and that you are inspired by the opportunities that await you here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was the most moving thing I have ever read in "Notes Along the Way." An inspired, and inspiring, young lady.
Roy Nichols ('67/8)