Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fighting Mesothelioma

Peter Bayreuther ’07, a double finance and business administration major, talks about what life has been like since he graduated:

“I started working right after graduation in the Development Office of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston as a Stewardship/Donor Relations Associate and, more recently, as a Gift Officer, fundraising, for the hospital's International Mesothelioma Program (IMP). (Note: Mesothelioma is a type of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.) I interned with the Joslin Diabetes Center while I was doing a Boston Urban semester my senior year and my boss offered me a job after graduation.
In my new role with the IMP, it's exciting to know that the philanthropic support I help to bring in will make a direct impact on the lives of patients battling this terrible cancer. Being able to support some of the most skilled physicians in the world is an amazing privilege.”

On how Gordon influenced who he is today:

“My time at Gordon taught me to search for my calling in life and work towards it. I was blessed with great mentors at Gordon who guided me both professionally, personally and spiritually. I can’t put a price tag on the valuable advice they gave me.
I’ve also been amazed at how much I have actually used my Christian liberal arts education—entering the ‘real world’ has forced me to defend my stance (and be willing to re-evaluate, as well) on more issues than I ever thought. Being a follower of Christ in a secular society requires me to think critically and carefully, testing what I experience against the truth of the Bible. But even more simply, I’ve learned that as a Christian, I need to be a hard worker, doing the task at hand well and thoroughly. My best effort was expected by my professors and coaches at Gordon, and it is no different now.”

Peter and his wife Jen (Wardle) Bayreuther ’06 married last August and have since moved back to Beverly, Mass., excited that they are back in the Gordon area since “it’s a hard place to beat.” Jen is an occupational therapist in Beverly.

No comments: