Thursday, July 2, 2009

From the NBA to the Fighting Scots

For a man who’s played basketball since he was 5 years old, moving to New England to coach the Gordon College men’s basketball team is no big surprise. “Basketball is in my blood,” he says.

This is Tod Murphy, former National Basketball Association (NBA) player and current assistant coach for the University of California at Irvine, his alma mater. So how does a former NBA athlete come to coach at Gordon? “For six years I’ve led UCI’s men’s basketball team as the assistant coach and was the top assistant for the last three. I’m ready to be a head coach, and Gordon has an amazing level of athletic talent on their court,” says Murphy. He’s excited that academics are important at Gordon and knows the players on his team will not only care about improving their game but also about excelling academically and growing spiritually. “I’m looking forward to being a mentor to my players and getting involved with discipleship. I’m also excited about the quality of individual I get to coach—I know my team will be willing to learn.”

Read more.

No comments: