Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dedicated to a Lifetime of Serving the Underserved

According to Jon Lopez, M.D. ’03 Gordon College was a natural choice for his undergraduate education because of the level of scholarship among science professors.
“At Gordon I resonated with the deep desire of my colleagues and teachers to be ‘thinking’ Christians. Seminar discussions on topics in medical ethics would often continue long after the class sessions had finished. Gordon nurtured a passion for connecting my worldview with the tenets of and developments in the sciences and for using my profession as a Christian witness. My biology major also cultivated an academic interest in the neurosciences. Outside of classes the culture of participation in ministries at Gordon prepared me for a lifetime of serving the underserved.
I am currently finishing my pediatric residency and will specialize in pediatric neurology. More than just finding fulfillment in the scientific detective work required to uncover the pathology that underlies neurological disorders, I want to alleviate the suffering of the ‘least of these’—children with mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy and other debilitating conditions, because each of these children is precious in God’s eyes.” Read more.

No comments: