Friday, September 26, 2008

A summer at Youthworks

This summer Madeleine Smith, a senior social work and Spanish major, spent her time working for the Minnesota-based Youthworks.
Youthworks is a Christian organization whose goal is to provide life-changing, Christ-centered missions trips to youth across the country. They have 78 trip sites within the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Smith said she chose Youthworks for her internship because of the organization’s “emphasis on building relationships and community along with encouraging youth to be the church of today.”
Smith was placed in Bridgeport, Chicago, where she and three other college students organized and facilitated various youth missions trips and supported the youth and the social service agencies they served.
“Going into the summer I was really excited about the ministry that I would be doing and the people in Chicago I could contribute to,” Smith said. “Near the end of the summer I realized more and more that my mission was to help the youth to do the ministry I was excited about. The youth were interacting in the lives of the Chicagoans, and I was encouraging those youth and giving them the tools to be the church.”

No comments: