Friday, April 11, 2008

Reading the Forested Landscape

Recently I traveled to the high desert in southern California and sent photos to some of my colleagues. Of this photo, Paula Cerulli (Provost’s Office) commented that, having heard Tom Wessels, author of Reading the Forested Landscape: A Natural History of New England, speak at Gordon, she could readily “interpret the forest around that graveyard.” I was intrigued by her response and, since I’d been away and not able to attend Wessels’ presentation, asked her to expand on it. Take it away, Paula:

“I live by the theory that it’s good to learn something new every day. I was honored to work with Jan Dempsey, director of the Hamilton-Wenham Library, on our second joint Community Read event, featuring Dr. Tom Wessels. Since I was involved with the behind-the-scenes details, I thought it would be interesting to hear what he had to say. I am not a hiker but have been into the woods accompanying my son as he competed in many mountain bike races; he provided me with my first woodland experiences. Dr. Wessels’ presentation was captivating to the inexperienced, and from the awe I witnessed in the audience, he had us all convinced, through his passion, that there is no better site to see or experience; so into the woods we all shall go! As a result of Wessels’ prolific knowledge of the forested landscape, I will never view a forest with the same set of ‘eyes’ again.”

No comments: